Tuesday, October 28, 2008

A Walker's Thoughts on the Journey - Day One

Originally published on Feb. 6, 2008

It's that time again, time to focus my thoughts on the enormity and intimacy of Christ's sacrifice and resurrection. If you don't already have something planned to walk you through the 40 days leading to Easter, may I suggest Journey to the Cross at www.d365.org.

I have recently begun walking for my health. It's that time for me, time to realize the cost of retiring from karate, time to face the facts that I have to exercise, something that does not appeal to me, regardless of the benefits. I walk alone sometimes, but also with friends. And on those walks, I do more than improve my physical strength and endurance, I am building relationships with people as we talk, laugh, question and process our lives together.

So I'm drawn today to thoughts about Jesus walking with His disciples, specifically as He began that final journey to Jerusalem, the focal point of His whole life. Come with me to Luke 18:31-34 and let's listen in to His conversation with the disciples.

Jesus took the Twelve aside and told them, "We are going up to Jerusalem, and everything that is written by the prophets about the Son of Man will be fulfilled. He will be handed over to the Gentiles. They will mock him, insult him, spit on him, flog him, and kill him. On the third day he will rise again."

The disciples did not understand any of this. Its meaning was hidden from them, and they did not know what he was talking about.

I think about the disciples, walking with Jesus toward Jerusalem, where He (and He alone evidently) knew what was about to happen and the significance of it. The disciples were baffled. They didn't get it. Even though they didn't understand His words, they kept going: they kept company with Him, listening, wondering.

And so I wonder: Are you on journey with Jesus? Perhaps to a place you don't understand? Are you keeping in step with Him...or lagging behind...or trying to run ahead? Are you keeping company with Him? Are you listening? Are you wondering?

May you discover more about the One who not only leads the way, but journeys with you, as you set your face toward His purposes, accompanying Him on the journey to the cross…and beyond.

No comments: